1. Read the lyrics to the song 'My Small Town':
My hometown is a small place
you know everyone, you know every face
we play in the barn on sunny days
the simple life is okay
when the sun goes down, the day is done
we have to wait the next day for fun
it's so quiet you can hear a pin drop
and the stores close early so we hurry to shop
the busses run every other hour
mom's in the garden planting some flowers
dad is at work, there until 5
the nearest store is such a long drive
I love the simple life, its a piece of cake
happy days are swimming in a lake
my hometown is small and relaxing
so stop on by if you're ever passing
2. Now, read the lyrics aloud to the song:
3. Find the following in the lyrics:
- There are two idioms in the text. What are they?
- Find two examples of perfect rhymes.
- Find two examples of near rhymes.
4. Write your examples in the table below:
5. Are you unsure about your answers? Click on the light bulb to get help:
The first idiom has something to do with a 'pin'.
The second idiom has something to do with 'cake'.
There are five perfect rhymes. Try to say some of the words at the end of the sentences out loud. A perfect rhyme has the same sound at the end of the word. For instance, with 'place' and 'face', the sound 'ace' is the same in both words.
There are three near rhymes. Try to say some of the last words in the sentences out loud. In a near rhyme, the end of the words will sound almost the same. For instance, 'hour' and 'flowers'.